Friday, April 22, 2011

Week 4 Reading: Being the board


“Being the board” opens a new world of possibilities.  No longer the victim of circumstance, one can redefine their current situation to one of possibility.  In the current educator climate of budget cuts and random accountability, it is difficult to find the element of possibility.  Each email I receive outlines further disaster to come.  If teachers are unable to discover the WE and teach from a place of possibility, the real losers in the game will be the students. 

Like all revelations in this book, the practice of “being the board” and finding the “We” instead of the “Us and Them” is an ongoing process.  I have begun to ask myself how I can redefine situations without falling victim to the negativity and blame.  The insight gathered from this book offers a new way to handle current challenges and I hope that this information will help provide growth for myself and for those I come in contact with.

Photo courtesy of Morguefile

1 comment:

  1. Great summary and observations. That's the very real test of the concept: looking at the direction that public seems to be heading, how do we deal with this and see the possibilities in it? Great question. It's a real test.

    ReplyDelete