Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Week 3 Peer Response 2

Photo by Melissa Lodhi




Everett Jones



These chapters are really geared towards myself and friendships that I have.  The example in chapter 5 about the conductor that doesn't know his members of the orchestra personally, but would like to.  The members hold him in such a high esteem that they send messages to him through those in the hierarchy.  He receives all praise for how the orchestra sounds, yet he does not perform and instrument at the concert.  I think it is important to acknowledge all that are part of the larger picture.  Especially if they are all working towards a common goal.  The results tend to have a better outcome.  When people are acknowledge, they tend to have a personal stake in the goal and perform better.

Chapter 6 gave an example of how when we lift away our personal judgements of people, that we may see them in a more positive manner.  I honestly think that each person no matter how evil some may seem to be, possess at least one thing that is positive.  Sometimes focusing on that, brings out a person that we never thought we'd see.

I learned from reading these chapters that I have to set up my life and relationships so that positivity embraces them both.  My daily decisions and choices not only effect myself but those around me.  Focusing on those things that make me happy in life, can hopefully overshadow those obstacles that do not.

My Response

I think the conductor analogy is very effective in analyzing relationships especially in the leadership capacity.  In order to be successful, we need all of the stakeholders to feel valued and for them to play an active role in the pursuit of the goal.  That requires letting go of ego, acknowledging mistakes, and engaging participation.  Thank you for also pointing out the chapter 6 idea of removing judgements.  I am working on that now and hoping for more positive interactions with those that I previously found to be “difficult”.

No comments:

Post a Comment