Thursday, April 7, 2011

Week 2 Free Choice: Buggy

Photograph courtesy of Morguefile
The AR website has been a great source of frustration this week.  While all of my information was already posted, I had major issues with formatting.  Actually, the formatting and alignment looked fine in the application, but every time I published, it went haywire.  In iWeb, the numbers and paragraphs were perfectly aligned but the published site had lines waving in and out.  First, I tried to put in additional text boxes and move them around to line up.  FAIL.  Next I tried to go back and forth between the published site and iWeb, moving things left and right to match up with where things belonged on the published site.  FAIL.  Then I went in and deleted the preference files and cache for iWeb.  FAIL.  Finally, I consulted discussion boards online and read that sometimes the text boxes themselves can be the problem.  I had to copy and paste all of my text in a Word document, reformat in Word, delete the old text box, then put in a new one and copy and paste all of the reformatted material.  SUCCESS.  Who knew the text would be the hardest media item to integrate into the site.

At this point, I think I have just about maxed out my Mac.  My machine is not the one supplied by Full Sail because I already had one before starting the program and opted out of the new purchase.  While my machine is adequate to complete the program, I am asking a little more than it is capable of.  At this point, I need to run a disk utility, or wipe it clean, or set it on fire to stop all of the bugginess but I am afraid to kill it before the end of the program.  For the remainder the program, I guess I will have to keep going through FAIL, FAIL, FAIL, SUCCESS.

2 comments:

  1. I have the Mac supplied by the program, but have had issues with iweb the entire year. I made an appt. last month with apple support because it wouldn't publish. I took it in and within minutes it published. I have published it three times since and each times it has published without issue. Long story short, try making an appointment with the apple experts and maybe all of your issues will go away like mine did. It's worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, I so feel your pain when it comes to having technology let us down at the worse possible moment. I might suggest that you get a little external hard disk and backup everything before you have further problems. Just running out of disk space can make our little laptops go a little sideways.

    And as far as iWeb is concerned, it a great program for those with little web experience, but it can be too limiting and confusing for those who have come to expect more control with their projects. We've had students make is all the way to month 11 and then decide to redo their AR Website and decide to drag & drop their old blog posts to the new AR website. Well, that might seem logical because we've gotten used to moving things on our Macs that way. Well, doing that in iWeb will break both the old and the new websites. So just when they think they're done everything is botched up and iWeb won't let them fix it. So.... it's always good to have a backup on an external hard disk. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete